This bride had an allergic reaction to her bouquet and had to go to the ER instead of her reception
Ever since they were little, many women dream of their wedding day. Visions of a big white gown, an audience of smiling faces and a handsome groom at the end of the aisle fill our heads, and so when the time comes to plan the big day, we want it to be absolutely perfect. But it seems that no matter how much you organise every tiny detail, there are some things that could have catastrophic consequences on your big day.
For Christine Jo Miller, it was her limited knowledge of botany that came close to ruining her wedding. The Nebraskan got married on September 2nd, 2017, and a few days before the wedding, she decided to pick her favourite green and white wildflowers to use as fillers in her bouquet and wedding trellis.
However, she didn't realise the "snow-on-the-mountains" flowers were actually poisonous - according to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Centre. In particular, their milky sap is known to trigger dermatitis.
Having handled the flowers days before the ceremony, she told Cosmopolitan that the flowers had "no effect" on her. It was only on her wedding day, when she went to wash her face before the hair and makeup preparations, that her eyes started watering and she rapidly began to develop a rash.
"It all went downhill from there," she recalled. "I had walked out of the bathroom and my sister said my face was red and bumpy. It started going down my neck and arms.” After 30 minutes, Christine's eyes started burning with pain.
It was so bad that she had to hold cucumbers and washcloths over her eyes while her hair was being done. She tried to flush it out by drinking lots of water and took allergy medication hoping the symptoms would be gone by ceremony time.
"When my hair was done, I opened my eyes thinking it was all better, but that's when I realised I had lost my eyesight," she said. "So by 11:30am, my rash was getting worse [and] my eyes were pouring out water constantly."
She couldn't see and was shaking violently, but despite that, Christine refused when her mum asked if she wanted to cancel the ceremony.
"Jon [her husband] and I didn't live together before we were married and that's something we had really been looking forward to for the last five years of dating," she said. "I was ready to go to sleep and wake up next to my husband, so for me it just didn't feel like an option."
Incredibly, she put on the dress, walked down the aisle, said "I do", and was carted straight to the hospital after the ceremony was complete. In the ER she was given a "shot in the butt" and eye drops, before stopping by Target to pick up some pyjamas to change into before heading back to the wedding reception.
Three hours late, and returning with the bride in her PJs, the couple had their first dance, cut the cake and then called it a night to head to their hotel room.
They shot improvised reception photos a week later, and Christine made it on national television as well as the front cover of a newspaper.
While it didn't exactly go to plan, it certainly was a very memorable wedding.