This woman temporarily lost her sight after a salon used nail glue to apply lash extensions

This woman temporarily lost her sight after a salon used nail glue to apply lash extensions

As we've been told time and time again, doing your research is imperative when it comes to making any changes to your appearance. Whether you're going in for a routine eyebrow wax, or delving into the world of fillers and botox, there is so much room for error, and of course, tears and regret.

Case in point: earlier this month, 20-year-old Megan Rixson booked an appointment to get lash extensions at an unnamed salon that she'd never been to before. Per Buzzfeed News, Rixson experienced burning during the application, and was left unable to see for two hours once her lashes had been applied.

The salon in question had, inadvertently, used nail glue to apply her extensions.

"When she was doing the first one my eyes were stinging lots," Rixson said when speaking to Buzzfeed News. "But she said, don't worry, it's normal, and told me to hold my eye open. It was burning so much my eyes were naturally closing, but she kept telling me to hold them open. After she was done, I sat up on the bed and couldn't open them. I said, this isn't normal, but she kept saying it was."

After she left the salon, Rixson tweeted a video of her watery eyes, saying "This one is, like, on fire, but this one won't open as much, like this is as far as I can open them and this is, like, more closed. I'm not crying because I'm sad, I'm crying because, like, my eyes are continuously watering. Um, but, everything is very blurry, like very blurry."

In the caption of the post, Rixson explained what had transpired: "Girls be very very careful where you get your eyelashes done!!I got my individuals done today somewhere new and it turns out they used nail glue on my lashes. I genuinely lost my sight for 2 hours. Thankfully the swelling has gone down, but there still very sore. Be careful."

According to The Daily Mail, Rixson returned to the salon later that day to inquire about the mishap. "When my boyfriend asked what glue they used, a lady in the salon said 'that is for nails!'" she said.

Luckily, Rixson wasn't left with any long-term damage, but her experience should be a lesson to us all: playing around with your eyesight is no joke. And if you're getting lash extensions - or really, anything to alter your physical appearance - it pays to do your research prior to booking the appointment.

I know I'm starting to sound like your mother, but ask to see the products the technician is going to use beforehand, and always ensure to ask for a patch test to avoid having a nasty reaction.