Lori Loughlin makes first statement following college admissions scandal
Lori Loughlin has finally broken her silence following news of her purported involvement in the college admissions cheating scandal.
Last month, it was revealed that around 40 wealthy people - including Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, and Felicity Huffman - had been indicted in a $25 million college admissions cheating scheme.
Per CNN, who have dubbed the scandal a "national conspiracy", well-off parents had enlisted the help of an illegal college-preparatory programme to get their children into elite private universities.
Good Morning America has reported that documents show that Loughlin and her husband reportedly "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters, Olivia Jade and Isabella Rose, accepted as recruits to the USC crew team — despite the fact that they did not participate in crew — thereby facilitating their admission to USC."
The erstwhile Full House actress was spotted by TMZ leaving a yoga class in Brentwood, Los Angeles, this past Saturday.
When asked about the scandal by the camera man, Loughlin replied politely, and issued her first public statement since news broke of her indictment.
"I’m sorry I can’t talk to you," she reportedly said. "You can follow me around all day, but I just can’t comment right now. But thank you for your time."
Loughlin remained close-lipped as the cameraman continued to press her. When questioned about whether she was afraid of going to prison, she continued searching in her bag for her keys - until he got the hint and wished her well - something Loughlin returned before getting into her car.
It makes sense that the 54-year-old refused to divulge any details about the case ahead of her court date tomorrow.
Loughlin and her husband, as well as their two daughters, have been keeping a low-profile of late.
However, Olivia - who has lost endorsement deals with the likes of Sephora, TRESemmé, and Estée Lauder - was also spotted out with her sister, Isabella Rose, driving through Santa Monica in a Mercedes-Benz on Monday.
According to a source at US Weekly, Olivia has temporarily cut off communication with her parents. "Olivia has been staying with her boyfriend [Jackson Guthy] in Malibu," the insider told the publication. "She’s not talking to her parents right now. Olivia hasn’t been out with friends. She is completely in hiding right now."
The source went onto allege that Olivia is posting to Instagram, but only for her inner circle. "Olivia is posting private Stories on her Instagram, using the only-close-friends option, to share her days on social media with her close circle."
Additionally, the two sisters have not returned to USC even though classes have begun. According to a source at People, they're currently "living in the moment" and will take things as they come.
Following the allegations, USC released the following statement:
"We are aware of the ongoing wide-ranging criminal investigation involving universities nationwide, including USC. USC has not been accused of any wrongdoing and will continue to cooperate fully with the government’s investigation. We understand that the government believes that illegal activity was carried out by individuals who went to great lengths to conceal their actions from the university. USC is conducting an internal investigation and will take employment actions as appropriate. USC is in the process of identifying any funds received by the university in connection with this alleged scheme. Additionally, the university is reviewing its admissions processes broadly to ensure that such actions do not occur going forward."